Friday 25 March 2011

Welcome To The Catering Code

My love of catering sprung from studying in Architecture School. I suppose the first event that kicked off my fascination with catered food was the 2006 Auckland Architecture week. That year I had participated in a design paper that teamed me up with others with the end result of creating a temporary bar for a night. The overall result was awesome and the catering was good on the night too. It opened my eyes to the world of miniature portions of super tasty food.

This led on to me getting involved with as many exhibitions and events as I could do. Later in my College career I got involved with another exhibition at St Paul's Street on reactive architecture which later was redone and represented at Te Papa in Wellington (unfortunately I had started working by then and couldn't take time off work to go to the opening) In 2008 I graduated from the University of Auckland School of Architecture and started working in an inner city architecture firm, I still kept a close relationship with the University so I would be informed of any upcoming exhibitions they were running...Grad shows seemed to always seemed to be well catered.

However, because the firm I am working for is of reasonable size (40 or so people) we get invited to quite a few product launch parties/building ground breakings and other catered events. Being a recent Graduate, with practically no other ‘real’ responsibilities (ie, children...) I try to attend as many of these as I can.

After attending a few Resene parties (which I must say, are the best catered events in Auckland Architecture) I found myself going on and on to my friends and colleagues about mini burgers and asparagus rolls. At one stage in the office, I probably talked more on catered food and going to events for free catered food more than architecture.

I have been asked why I don't just go into the hospitality business, my reply to that is that I don't want to cook or serve the delicious bite sized portions, I want to be on the receiving end of the serving. If I was in the kitchen I would probably eat myself to a triple bypass or, more likely, be fired before that happens.

As you can probably tell now I have no formal training in the food industry and everything I am definitely not a food critic I just like the food

No comments:

Post a Comment